Four Cheese Pasta Shells
Yield 4-6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound medium pasta shells
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 cups baby spinach (about 4 oz.)
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1 cup grated white cheddar, divided
- 1 cup grated mozzarella, divided
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped plus more for garnish
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente, according to package directions — it should have a bite to it because it will continue softening in the oven.
Heat your oven to 450 degrees F.
In the bottom of a large bowl, whisk together the tomatoes, heavy cream, and salt and pepper. Stir in the spinach, ricotta, ½ cup cheddar, ½ cup mozzarella, and ½ cup Parmesan. Drain pasta and add it to the bowl and stir to combine. Season well with salt and pepper and stir in basil.
Coat the sides and bottom of a 12-inch cast-iron or other oven-proof skillet with olive oil. Pour in the pasta and sauce. Evenly sprinkle top with remaining cheese. Bake until the top is bubbling and golden brown, about 15 minutes. For more browning, increase oven to broil for 1 minute.
Allow skillet to cool 5 minutes before serving.