Yield 4 servings
- 3/4 lb. pencil-thin asparagus (about 30 stalks)
- 3 shallots (about 1/2 cup), chopped
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Remove the stalky ends of the asparagus by snapping or trimming the last 1 - 1 1/2 inches of each stalk. If using larger or thicker stalks of asparagus, peel the outer layer with a vegetable peeler.
In a medium size bowl, combine shallots, sherry vinegar, Dijon mustard, kosher salt, and black pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season vinaigrette to taste adding more salt and pepper, if needed.
In a plastic zip top bag or small casserole dish (cover with plastic wrap), submerge asparagus in vinaigrette. Allow asparagus to marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Serve either chilled or at room temperature.