Baked Apple Pear Stuffing with Sausage
Yield 8 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 3 leeks, sliced thin (white & light green parts)
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 Bosc pear, cored and diced into 1/4 –inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12 ounce bag) Cubed Country style stuffing
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, brown sausage, crumbling it as it cooks. Once brown add in the leeks, apple and pear, saute until fragrant and softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in sage, thyme, salt and pepper and continue cooking for another minute. Add in the chicken stock and scrape up any brown bits that have formed on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat.
Add bread cubes to a large mixing bowl and add the sauteed sausage and vegetable mixture. Toss to combine and then add in the eggs and cranberries. Toss all ingredients together until fully combined.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown on top. Once cooked, remove from the oven and let cool 5 to 10 minutes.