Chicken & Rice Soup
Yield 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Mirepoix Mix (from Trader Joes - alternatively ½ cup chopped, onion, celery, and carrot)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (can use rotisserie chicken)
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon
Place a large pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and thyme . Cook and stir until the vegetables are softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
Pour in the chicken stock/broth and bring the soup to a simmer. Add in the rice and chicken; season with salt and pepper.
Cook over medium-low heat until the rice is tender, about 25-30 minutes. Add lemon juice and zest just before serving. Serve warm.