Pear Crumble with Pomegranate Sauce
Yield 8 servings
- Nonstick cooking spray or butter for greasing
- 6 Bosc pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Pomegranate Sauce, recipe follows
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 by 13-inch baking dish.
Add the sliced pears to the prepared baking dish. In a small mixing bowl combine 3 tablespoons flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Sprinkle the mixture over the pears and toss to coat evenly.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1 cup flour and brown sugar with the oats. Next, cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two forks, making sure that the butter stays chilled and you end up with a crumbly texture. Spread evenly over the pears.
Place the baking dish in the oven until the crumble is golden brown, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Serve alongside vanilla ice cream and Pomegranate Sauce. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
In a saucepan over high heat, add the pomegranate juice, honey, orange zest and cinnamon. Simmer until reduced by half and syrupy, about 10 minutes. Cool slightly before serving over the crumble.